Friday, April 22, 2016

Scandinavian Style: A Serene Summer House by Designer Marshall Watson






S W E D I S H   S T Y L E

Gustavian antiques, painted furniture, light filled rooms, a place for family...

On an island in an archipelago off the coast of Stockholm, Sweden, American designer Marshall Watson transformed a 1970s northern Swedish style, hand-hewn, square log home into a serene, timeless Summer House which, along with its guest house, barn, and the accompanying cottages, is the quintessence of Scandinavian style.  The main house with its layers of cream, green, and pomegranate red is very common in Swedish folk art, and is embellished by painted furniture and the ubiquitous plaster fireplace surrounded by large casement windows to let in the light.  The tranquil guesthouse, with it's palette of sky and sea, foggy blues, along with soft grays and whites, is all refinement and ease and oh so pretty.  Though he is New York based and Kansas City born, designer Marshall Watson has projects throughout the U.S., London, Mexico, Sweden, and Tokyo; his designs are as varied as they are beautiful, from a Cabo hacienda, to a St. Helena Vineyard Estate, and the Time Warner Building in NYC, to a Nantucket Escape.  I will definitely be showcasing more of his inspirational work in the near future, but for now, here is the perfect spring-get-away to start your weekend.  I hope it's lovely where you are ...








"You rarely see dark wood, because the whole idea is to invite more light into a room.  Floors are painted white or scrubbed so thoroughly that they look as if they were bleached... "








"Rooms will be lit by candles every night, even during the summer months... And there are mirrors, lots of mirrors, to reflect the glow and double the sense of light."






"It really is idyllic.  These clients - he's American, she's Swedish - live in the United States but move over here for six weeks every summer.  It was important to them that their three daughters have a close relationship with the wife's family.  Now the girls are almost grown and completely bilingual, and they have a whole set of Swedish friends."






"...I divided the walls into panels, to accentuate them.  I wanted to make you really look at those angles, as opposed to pretending they're not there.  The panels are upholstered in a trellis pattern, and you'll notice there's a lot of air in the design."






"Traditional Swedish patterns, like the checks on the bed skirt and the stripes at the window, are simple and airy.  It's as if they wanted to let in more light, even through the fabrics."






"Foggy blues, soft grays, and whites.  But everything is blurred,  even the whites have a bit of blue or gray in them.  You rarely see bright white in Sweden."






"They're neutral colors.  In the U.S. we think of neutrals as beige, gray, or off-white - all basically derived from brown."






"Swedish neutrals, in contrast, have the sky or the lake in them, rather than the earth. There's a bit of blue in the green and a bit of green in the blue, and everything is softened with a touch of gray."






"These colors are peaceful and restful, because they all have hues in common and they all have a similar value on the scale light to dark.  That makes for a very tranquil space."


















Photos from HouseBeautiful March 2016 Issue
Photography by Luke White
Quotes - Interior Designer Marshall Watson

21 comments:

  1. Such a lovely blog post, so insightful too, it makes sense now why Scandinavian greys are so much nicer than American!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! Yes, I thought his description of the Scandinavian colors was insightful.

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful home! You know I'm a fan of Swedish style :) The antiques, architecture, color palette.....all so charming! Lovely feature, Rie.
    Have a fabulous weekend,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept thinking of you while authoring this post with your gorgeous style. So glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. Really beautiful-so calm and welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, I think that is what I love most about Swedish design it is so clam and welcoming! Thank you for coming by! Rié

      Delete
  4. What a stunning feature, its inspired me so much that I have renewed my House Beautiful subscription! I would love to get my hands on a copy of this issue, any ideas? I live in Belgium. I checked on amazon.com but unfortunately shipping would cost me $40 or something ridiculous :( Another great posting, thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Angela, You can have my copy, it's been used unfortunately but I would be happy to send it to you! Just send me your address to my email. Also, online they showcase some of their articles. Thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely feature! I saw this spread when I got this issue of House Beautiful and dog eared several of the pages. Love Swedish style - it is so light filled and serene!

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, we agree! :) I too love Swedish style! Thanks for coming by, xxRié

      Delete
  6. Rie, another beautiful post! You always find the greatest things to bring to your followers. Thank you for showing this lovely Swedish home and the mix of colors. Just loved everything about this home. Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, Thank you for the kind words, they were so encouraging! I hope you will come by again! xxRié

      Delete
  7. Easily one of the most lovely and livable interiors I've seen. Many homes featured in magazines and books are opulent, but can also be cold and sterile, evoking no feelings of wanting to live there. Your beautiful post on this home does just the opposite...I would never want to leave! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So beautifully said... thank you for coming by and for the lovely words.

      Delete
  8. I loved the house!! thanks for the great post!! xo Leslie Sinclair

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so drawn to the light and lovely beauty which is Scandinavian style. Gorgeous and inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The perfect Scandi style, I love those muted blues!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very impressive content.
    I am very interesting in your blog. Keep it up.
    Hollywood plaster

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I love this house, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    Very nice post along with ultimate Patio Design Ideas. I really loved all. Keep posting dear. Thank you too much........

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...